Rebecca Clements (later Rebecca Moden) was the second of the seven children of labourer John Clements and his Sarah Edwards of Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Rebecca married Thomas Moden, an agricultural labourer of Haddenham, and the couple went on to have at least ten children, moving the family from Haddenham to Wentworth, Cambridgeshire at sometime between 1833 and 1835 (going by the parish registers in both villages).
The couple's oldest daughter, Esther Moden, gave birth to an illegitimate son in 1851, John Thomas Moden.
It appears that in order to hide this "shame", Rebecca and Thomas looked after the child as if he was one of their children. Rebecca was still yet to give birth to two more children by this time and so looking after her grandson, as if he was her own child would have seemed the natural thing to do. John Thomas Moden was even baptised with his infant Aunt, Susan Moden.
- 1810 at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 28th July 1813 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Thomas Moden (1811-1885) on 13th September 1830 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Esther Moden (1829-1902) married Henry Dewey (1820-1879)
- Mary Ann Moden (1833-1903) married Robert Boulter (1825-1875)
- Thomas Moden (1835-?) married Mary Akred (1839-?)
- Martha Moden (1839-?)
- Jane Moden (1839-?) married William Edward Howard (1835-?)
- William Clements Moden (1842-?) married Mary Ann Fisher (1847-?)
- Sarah Moden (1844-?) married George Sandifer (1842-1865), and later to Robert Richardson (1838-?)
- Susan Moden (1846-1848)
- John Moden (1848)
- John Moden (1849-?) married Phoebe Barrett (1849-?)
- Susan Moden (1850-1925) married William Cockle (1845-?)
- Anna Maria Moden (1852-?) married John Akred (1849-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 30yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 41yrs, High Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 52yrs, Main Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 61yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- During January 1875 at Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 64yrs.
- 24th January 1875 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.