Peter Cross was the eighth of the thirteen children of Philip Cross and his first with his second wife Ellen Wayman (formerly Saberton) of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Peter began working as an agricultural labourer, but by the 1870s, he had become a 'Hackney Carter'.
Peter married Rachel Wisbey (a minor) in 1854, and together they settled in Ely, where they became parents to seven children. Sadly, the first child, George, died when he was 7 years old in the summer of 1863.
Rachel died just 4 days after the baptism of their seventh and final child, Ellen, in May 1866.
Widower Peter, now left with six young children, re-married 16 months later to widow Ann Newton (née Everett) of Ely. The couple began their own family, and had six children, although their fourth child Walter failed to thrive, and died when he was just 11 months old.
Peter pre-deceased his second wife Ann by at least 27 years, and she can be found living in Malting's Yard, Church Lane, Ely, working as a Laundress into the 1900s.
- Circa 1833 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 7th July 1833 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, and possibly also 22nd November 1835 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Rachel Wisbey (1835-1866) on 7th May 1854 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Ann Everett (1836-19??) on 30th September 1867 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- George Cross (1856-1863)
- Philip Cross (1858-?)
- Sarah Cross (1860-?)
- Susan Cross (1862-?)
- George Cross (1864-?)
- Lucia Cross (1865-?)
- Ellen Cross (1866-?)
- Peter Cross (1868-?)
- Ada Cross (1871-1923) married George Parish (1869-1940)
- Thomas Cross (1872-1921) married Emily Biggs (1873-19??)
- Walter Cross (1874-1875)
- Walter Cross (1876-?)
- Alice Maud Cross (1879-19??) married Albert Newton (1876-19??)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 10yrs, Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 20yrs, Downham Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely Census destroyed.
- 1871: 40yrs, Field Side, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 49yrs, Field Side, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: Agricultural Labourer
- 1876-1879: Hackney Carter
- May 1884 at Field Side, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 53 years.
- 27th May 1884 in Grave Cb746 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.