Alfred Dewey was the fourth of the nine children of Joseph Dewey and his wife Elizabeth Gray of Witchford in Cambridgeshire, England.
Alfred worked in agriculture - starting as a 'farmer's boy' in 1881, and eventually becoming a 'Yardman' by the time of the 1920s. During the 1910s, he had worked as a Horse Keeper, and probably continued to do this under his yardman occupation.
I have yet to locate Alfred and his brother George on the 1891 census.
Alfred married Lucy Bowles of March, Cambridgeshire, and together they began their family. By 1901 they had moved to Chesterton on the north side of Cambridge, where they would become parents twice more before returning to Wentworth. In total, they had six children, but sadly their youngest son Claude failed to survive infancy and died when he was no more than 1 year old.
Upon the marriage of their daughter Lily in 1929 (whose wedding photograph this photo of Alfred is taken), the Dewey family and Moden family were related again, giving me a large group wedding photograph where I am related to both sides of the family.
Alfred pre-deceased Lucy in 1934, and she out-lived him by about 17 years before dying in 1951.
- 14th January 1866 in Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 25th February 1866 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Lucy Bowles (1873-1951) during 1895 in Cambridgeshire, England.
- Percy Dewey (1895-1973) married Dorothy Mary Kettridge (1899-1957)
- Mabel Dewey (1897-1998)
- Emily Dewey (1898-19??) married Andrew Murfitt (1896-?)
- Claude Dewey (1901-1902)
- Lily Dewey (1903-1983) married George Edward Moden (1905-1998)
- Violet Dewey (1907-?) married Donald Herbert Foster (1911-1966)
Census and Residence
- 1871: 5yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 15yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: Not yet located.
- 1901: 35yrs, Hall Farm Cottages, Chesterton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 45yrs, Hall Farm Cottages, Chesterton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: Farmer's Boy
- 1901, 1911: Horse Keeper
- 1929, 1932: Yardman
- 26th May 1934 at Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 68 years.
- 30th May 1934, with his wife Lucy, and son-in-law Donald Herbert Foster, at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.