Joseph worked as a labourer in Witchford and Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, for more than 50 years.
He married Elizabeth Gray and together they had nine children but sadly two of them died in their infancy.
In 1854, and as reported in The Cambridge Independent Press' Sessions and Police Intelligence column of 19th August 1854, Joseph was charged with an assault upon a Mrs. Ruth Whetstone while she seemingly assaulted Joseph's father, William Dewey. The case was dismissed, 'the defendant having committed the assault in defence of his aged father'. The report goes on to state that Ruth Whetstone was 'charged with committing a violent assault upon William Dewey, an aged and infirm man at Witchford, on the 12th of August. It appears a regular pitched battle took place between the parties, but the woman Whetstone evidently commenced the assault'.
Joseph died in 1904 aged 79 years, pre-deceasing his wife by twelve years.
- circa 1825 in Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 27th March 1825 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Gray (1835-1916) on 30th September 1856 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- George Dewey (1857-1939) married Adelaide Saville (1857-1908), and later to Elizabeth Seymour (1855-1920), and then to Edith Ellen Hughes (1887-1975)
- John Dewey (1859-?)
- Ann Ellen Dewey (1861-1934) married Thomas Rogers (1864-19??), and later to Wallis Giles (1859-1943)
- Alfred Dewey (1866-1934) married Lucy Bowles (1873-1951)
- Charles Dewey (1868-1940) married Clara Whetstone (1868-1938)
- Sarah Dewey (1870-?)
- Fred Dewey (1871-1872)
- Fred Dewey (1873-1932) married Emily Boulter (1866-1959)
- Eliza Dewey (1878-1879)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 15yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 25yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 34yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 47yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 59yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 65yrs, Main Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 75yrs, Green's Cottage, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861-1901: Agricultural Labourer
- During December 1904 in Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 78 years.
- 4th December 1904 at St. Peter's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.