Arthur Robert Dewey
Arthur left the United Kingdom on 4th August 1906, on the SS Minneapolis from London, and arrived in New York on 13th August 1906. His fare was paid by the Atlantic Transport Co. and he is noted as a Horse Handler on this First Class only ship. Whilst the records suggest he would return to the UK, he didn't.
Between his arrival in the USA in August 1906 and the 1910 US Census, he married Ruth Ernst, who was born to a German-born immigrant farmer named Henry Ernst, and an American-born mother named Lillian Eckart.
Arthur and Ruth had at least four children, possibly five (naming a daughter after one who may have died in infancy) between 1909 and 1923, with their youngest daughter Albine Dewey taking her name from Arthur's younger sister Albina Dewey whom he had left behind in England.
Ruth pre-deceased Arthur in 1934, dying at home at the age of 47 from a cerebral haemorrhage. Arthur re-married in 1946 to Sarah Doyle, and continued to live in Wright County until his death in 1973, at the age of 92.
- 28th December 1881 at Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 29th January 1882 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Ruth Ernst (1887-1934) between August 1906 and 1909, somewhere in the United States of America.
- Sarah Doyle (18??-19??) on 12th March 1946, somewhere in the United States of America.
- Ruth Elizabeth Dewey (1909-1962) married Richard Calvin Lyle (1916-?)
- John Henry Dewey (1912-1912)
- Robert William Dewey (1917-1988) married Geneva E Dennis (1919-2015)
- May Katherine Dewey (1919-2001) married Elmer Ray Dennis (1910-1988)
- Albine Florence Dewey (1923-1986) married Glenn C Nicholas (1927-1969)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 9yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 21yrs, 50 Blenheim Grove, Camberwell, London, England.
- 1920: 38yrs, Wright County, Missouri, United States of America.
- 1930: 49yrs, Gasconade, Wright County, Missouri, United States of America.
- 1901: Carman
- 1906: Horse Handler on SS Minneapolis.
- 1920: Tenant Farmer
- During April 1973 at Wright County, Missouri, United States of America, aged 92 years.
- During April 1973 at Nancy Newton Cemetery, Mansfield, Wright County, Missouri, United States of America.