Ernest John Dewey
Ernest John Dewey was the fourth of the eight children of George William Dewey and his wife Annie Curtis of Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire, England.
Ernest worked as a labourer, and eventually his work took him up to Sheffied, South Yorkshire, by 1899 where he met and married his wife Beatrice, and they settled down to raise a family of five children.
By 1911, Ernest was being employed as a Crucible Cast in the steel industry, but sadly it was his work that would bring his life to an abrupt end.
When he was 42 years old, whilst working at the John Brown Steel Works, Ernest was involved in a 'freak accident'. An 8 tonne piece of metal slipped from its chains and fell down on to his legs - crushing them. Despite surviving the journey to the Sheffield hospital, he died soon afterwards.
His widow Beatrice was left with their five children - the oldest 18, the youngest just 4 years old.
- 1878 in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 21st July 1878 at St. John the Evangelist Church, Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Beatrice Ellen Gledhall (1882-1953) during 1899 in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
- John William Dewey (1901-1965)
- Ernest Dewey (1904-1970) married Glenfinella Hinchfliffe (1903-1990)
- Alfred Dewey (1907-1989) married Dorothy Allder (1906-1995)
- George Dewey (1913-1997) married Edna Bolderson (1915-2003)
- Gladys Dewey (1916-1984) married Walter Lawson (19??-?)
Census and Residence
- 1881: 3yrs, Fen End, Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 13yrs, Fen End, Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 23yrs, 48 Zion Lane, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
- 1911: 33yrs, 23 Ardmore Street, Attercliffe, South Yorkshire, England.
- 1891: Foreman
- 1911: Crucible Cast at the John Brown & Company Steel Works in Sheffield
- During May 1920 in the Sheffield district of South Yorkshire, England, aged 42 years.
Cause of Death
- Due to injuries sustained in accident at steel works.
- During 1920, at Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.