He married Annie and the couple lived in Church Street, Somersham, Huntingdonshire, although were living nearby on Chatteris Road by the time of the 1911 census.
Walter enlisted as a Private with the 2nd Battalion of The Bedfordshire Regiment during the First World War.
Sadly he was killed in action after just a few days service, and he has "no known grave". Despite no formal grave, he is commemorated on three war memorials, including Somersham, Witchford, and in France.
This left his 31 year old widow Annie to care for 5 children under the age of 10.
- 1883 at Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 10th June 1883 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Annie Kirby (1884-1961) on 24th April 1905 at St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, England.
- George Dewey (1905-1987) married Frances Fairchild (19??-?)
- Joseph John Dewey (1906-1974) married Irene May Church (1905-?)
- Sarah Elizabeth Dewey (1908-?)
- Francis Dewey (1910-1977) married Florence Ellen Wright (1913-2002)
- Ernest Charles Dewey (1912-?)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 7yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 17yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 27yrs, Chatteris Road, Somersham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: Hay Presser
- 1906: Horse Keeper
- 1915: Private (#17966) - 2nd Battalion of The Bedfordshire Regiment
- Panel 10 and 11, Le Touret Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.
- War Memorial, Somersham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- War Memorial, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 16th June 1915 in Flanders, Belgium.
- No known grave.