Henry James Dewsbury
Henry James Dewsbury was the eleventh of the twelve children of Robert Dewsbury and his wife Lydia Low (formerly Lydia Badcock), of Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
Henry started work as a labourer in agriculture, until his father's death, afterwhich he appears to have taken on his father's mill on the Barway riverbank.
In 1881, Henry is noted as a 'corn miller', a 'miller' in 1891, and 'Water Miller and Ferryman' by 1901. Henry takes on a pub by 1905, but by 1911, he is noted as a 'reed cutter/drainage labourer'.
In 1925, Henry and Mahala celebrated their 50th year of marriage, with the moment captured in the photograph above. It shows all of their children, aside from three - Mahala (who died in infancy), and sons Alfred and Arthur who were killed in the First World War.
- 1850 at Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mahalah Randall (1855-1948) on 29th September 1875 at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Robert John Dewsbury (1877-1943) married Alice Chapman Cross (1883-1958)
- Ellen Dewsbury (1879-19??)
- Mahala Dewsbury (1880)
- Elizabeth Dewsbury (1882-19??)
- Ethel Dewsbury (1883-19??) married William Howard (1870-?)
- Laura Dewsbury (1885-1972) married Owen Yarrow (1882-1917)
- Alberta Dewsbury (1887-1947) married Walter Lionel Driver (1881-1963)
- Alfred Dewsbury (1892-1915)
- Elsie Dewsbury (1893-1957) married Walter Stephen Claydon (1880-1962)
- Arthur James Dewsbury (1895-1918)
- Ida Louisa Dewsbury (1898-1986) married Thomas Robert Cross (1894-19??)
Census and Residence
- 1851: 1yr, Thetford Shore Mill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 11yrs, Thetford Mill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 21yrs, Harrow Mere Mill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 31yrs, Barway Mill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 41yrs, Thetford Mill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 51yrs, Barway, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 61yrs, Ivy Cottage, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 1881: Corn Miller
- 1891: Miller
- 1901: Water Miller and Ferryman
- 1905-1908: Publican at The Three Horseshoes (Public House) at Little Thetford
- 1911: Reed Cutter/Drainage Labourer
- 31st August 1940 in Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Not yet known.