Clara Emma Gilbert
She married Alfred Newman, a Basket Weaver of Ely, and the couple had six children whilst living at the Waterside area of Ely, Cambridgeshire.
Sadly, two of their sons pre-deceased them. Their oldest son, Wilfred, died of "an incurable illness" (a combination of Septicemia, Uretheral Fistula and Tuberculosis of the kidney), after being sent home from Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge. Their youngest child, Owen Gilbert Newman was killed in Singapore whilst Prisoner of War on board a Japanese Hospital Ship when it was destroyed by American forces.
When Clara's father died, each daughter was given 10 acres of land to farm during the rest of their lives, with the son getting the rest of the Gilbert land at Littleport. Upon Clara's death, the land returned to the Gilbert family who continue to live in Littleport, and still farm 'Clara's Field' today.
- 14th October 1884 at Burnt Chimney Drove Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 16th November 1884 at St. Matthew's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Alfred Sidney Newman (1883-1969) on 2nd June 1909 at Diary Houses Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phyllis May Newman (1909-1987) married Sidney Albert Fitch (1908-1986)
- Iris Elizabeth Newman (1911-1970) married Horace Charles Farrow (1913-1979)
- Wilfred Newman (1913-1929)
- Leslie Newman (1914-1985) married Olive Maisie Wilden (c.1922-?)
- Edna Olga Newman (1916-1986) married Percy Martin (1914-1991)
- Owen Gilbert Newman (1920-1944)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 6yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 16yrs, 2 Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 26yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1929: 5 Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1939: 17 Willow Walk, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 20th January 1973 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 29th January 1973 at Cambridge City Crematorium, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.