Joseph married Phoebe Collins of Landbeach, Cambridgeshire, and the couple settled initially in Wilburton. They became parents 12 times, but sadly two daughters - Phebe and Annie - born between 1886 and 1889, failed to thrive, and died as infants.
Not long after this tragedy, Joseph and his family moved to Histon, a village just a few miles outside of Cambridge. Joseph is noted as working as a Farm Servant for one of the long-running major employers in the area - J. Chivers Farms by the time of the 1891 census. His children Walter, Sarah, Hilda, Elsie, and Sidney, are all noted amongst employees from 1901 onwards, with Walter becoming a factory foreman by 1927.
Sadly, on Christmas Day 1917, Joseph and Phoebe's son Sidney was killed in France whilst serving as a Lance Bombardier with the Royal Field Artillery in the First World War.
Joseph was pre-deceased by Phoebe in 1924, and he died in November 1926, aged 68 years. He left leaving an estate valued at £260 12s 6d in his Will.
- 1858 at Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 10th October 1858 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phoebe Collins (1860-1924) on 16th September 1877 at St. Peter's Church, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Evangeline Gothard (1878-1931) married Robert Meredith Jones (1847-1931)
- Walter Gothard (1879-1943) married Alice Elizabeth Powell (1883-19??)
- Sarah Elizabeth Gothard (1881-19??)
- Joseph Gothard (1883-?)
- Hilda Agnes Gothard (1885-1967) married Ernest Ralph Smith (1878-1951)
- Phebe Gothard (1886)
- Annie Gothard (1889)
- Arthur Gothard (1890-19??)
- Elsie Maud Gothard (1893-19??) married Albert W Sheldrick (18??-19??)
- Alberta Gothard (1895-19??) married Albert E Biggs (18??-19??)
- Sidney Gothard (1896-1917)
- Olive Lilian Gothard (1899-1973) married Harold Leach (19??-19??)
Census and Residence
- 1861: 2yrs, The Black Horse Public House, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 12yrs, The Black Horse Public House, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 22yrs, High Street, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 33yrs, J. Chivers Farm, Clay Street, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 42yrs, Water Lane, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 53yrs, Water Lane, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871-1881: Agricultural Labourer
- 1891: Farm Servant for J. Chivers Farms at Histon
- 1901: Garden Labourer
- 1911: Farm Labourer
- 30th November 1926 in Cambridgeshire, England, aged 68 years.
- Location not yet known.