William Moden was the fifth of the eleven children of John Moden and his first wife Mary Pedley of Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
William married Elizabeth Williams in 1887 at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire. The couple settled down here initially, but seemingly moved around for William's farm work. During this time, they become parents 12 times.
Sadly though, 6 of their children failed to thrive, and they died in their infancies. This must have been an exceptionally harrowing time for the couple - and it included losing four of their first six children.
By 1901, the couple and their surviving children had settled at Hill Row, an area along a causeway to the west of Haddenham, Cambridgeshire.
William pre-deceased Elizabeth by 11 years in 1946. It is not clear where the couple were buried, although several of their children and grandchildren are buried in Haddenham's cemetery.
- 4th December 1864 at Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 29th January 1865 at St. Andrew's Church, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Williams (1868-1957) on 3rd October 1887 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Lily Louisa Moden (1887-1965) married Joseph Pope (1887-?)
- Mary Elizabeth Moden (1888-1891)
- James William Moden (1891)
- Florrie Elizabeth Moden (1892-1893)
- Thirza Moden (1893-1984) married Frederick Matthew Saberton (1893-1969)
- Percy Moden (1895-1896)
- Ralph William Moden (1897-1966) married Flossie Alsop (1900-1937)
- Leonard Moden (1899-1900)
- Walter Moden (1903-1988) married Annie Elizabeth Burgess (1903-1931), and later to Edith Evelyn Dent (1898-1988)
- Arthur Moden (1904-1905)
- Dorothy Moden (1906-2000) married Arthur George Thulborn (1904-?)
- Ida May Moden (1909-1997) married James Stanley Leeding (1908-?)
Census and Residence
- 1871: 6yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 16yrs, Charlers Farm, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 26yrs, Hermitage, Willingham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 36yrs, Hillrow Causeway, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 46yrs, Hill Row Causeway, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881, 1891: Agricultural Labourer
- 1901: Horsekeeper
- 1911: Farm Labourer
- 3rd November 1946 in Cambridgeshire, England.
- Location not yet known.