John married Elizabeth Skeels in 1824 at St. Giles' Church in Cambridge. It's unclear why the couple chose this church as neither were seemingly born or living there. They settled back in their native Swaffham Bulbeck where they raised 9 children.
He worked as a Labourer on the land around Swaffham Bulbeck for about 40 years.
John receives the wrong name on the 1871 census - he is named John Harding, assuming (along with his wife, and their son Richard Skeel Levitt) the surname of the head of the household - his son-in-law, George Harding.
In 1861, the couple are living in 'Village Street', Swaffham Bulbeck, and in the next three consecutive houses live two of their married daughters and John's mother - resulting in three generations living in four consecutive houses.
He pre-deceased his wife Elizabeth by 11 years in 1879.
- circa 1797 in Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 7th May 1797 at St. Mary's Church, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Skeels (1802-1890) on 4th November 1824 at St. Giles' Church, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Emma Levitt (1825-1893) married Charles Newman (1820-1906)
- Harriet Levitt (1827-1886) married Ephraim Fordham (1826-1914)
- Daniel Levitt (1830-1893) married Mary Ann Hills (1838-?)
- Joseph Levitt (1833-?) married Zillah Ashman (1835-1913)
- Jane Levitt (1835-1919) married Alfred Aves (1836-?)
- John Levitt (1838-1925) married Sophia Howard (1842-1914)
- Ann Maria Levitt (1841-1919) married George Pledger Wells Harding (1842-?)
- Richard Skeel Levitt (1844-1892)
- Frederick Levitt (1847-1916)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 40yrs, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 53yrs, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 63yrs, Village Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 75yrs, Bowyer's End, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841-1871: Labourer
- circa November 1879 in Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1879, location not yet known.