In 1901, when Nellie was approximately 17 years old, she went to work as a Servant for John Benson, a confectioner and baker, on Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire.
By 1911, she appears as a servant at 7 Rollscourt Avenue in Herne Hill in Lambeth (in Surrey, as it was then), at the house of Charles Payne, a 'manufacturer's agent', along with his wife Ada and their six children.
Nellie returns to Witchford in 1914, where she is noted as a witness to the marriage of her sister Louisa Barber, and would walk the aisle herself in 1918.
She married Sonny Mussett, and the couple settled in Galleywood near Chelmsford in Essex, and raised two daughters.
Sonny pre-deceased Nellie by nine years, and she died aged 90 in 1974.
- 21st March 1884 at Barway, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 29th August 1886 with brother Alfred Edward Barber and sister Louisa Barber at The Church Of The Holy Cross, Stuntney, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom.
- Sonny Mussett (1882-1965) on 18th September 1918 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elsie Daphne Mussett (1920-1990) married Kenneth J Hackett (19??-?), and later to Joseph E S Garrett (19??-?)
- Pamela D Mussett (1922-) married Christopher Edward Saltmarsh (1915-1945), and later to Charles W Girling (19??-?)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 7yrs, Townsend, Southery, Norfolk, England.
- 1901: 17yrs, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 27yrs, 7 Rollscourt Avenue, Herne Hill, Lambeth, London, England.
- 1939: Olleys Cottage, Galleywood, Essex, England.
- 1901: General Servant for John Benson (Confectioner and Baker)
- 1911: Servant for Charles Payne (Manufacturer's Agent)
- Circa May 1974 in the Maldon district of Essex, England, aged 90 years.
- At St. Michael and All Angels, Galleywood, Essex, England.