Obediah married his cousin Susannah Cross, and the couple remained in Ely where they raised nine children.
Obediah had several occupations during his life, which included labourer, carter, a general dealer, and a Hackney Carter. By the time of the 1901 census, Obediah's last, he is living alone in Market Street, where he is noted as a 'gardener' and 'living by own means'.
On September 21st 1878, The Cambridge Independent Press notes him receiving a fine in the Ely Division Petty Sessions column:
'Obediah Cross, Ely, allowing a horse to stray, costs 8s 6d.'.
His older brother Nathan Cross also appears in this column.
The burial register for Ely city cemetery, notes that he died at 'Union House' - Ely's workhouse. Without purchasing the death certificate I can only assume that he became unwell and needed care, or he became unable to support himself financially.
His grandson (Frederick Vernon Cross) notes in his autobiography Obediah's reliance on his father (Obediah's oldest child):
'..he had had a rough deal from my grandfather who, moreover, in later life became his responsibility. Although his brothers and sisters were then in fairly good circumstances they did not contribute to grandfather's maintenance or well-being'.
- Circa 1824 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 29th February 1824 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susannah Cross (1832-1901) on 24th December 1849 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Frederick Thompson Cross (1854-1911) married Elizabeth Waddelow (1860-1928)
- Mary Jane Cross (1857-1910)
- George Samuel Cross (1857-1904) married Emma Barnes (1858-19??)
- Louisa Cross (1861-?)
- Charles William Cross (1864-1935) married Fanny Ida Winskell (1868-1944)
- Susannah Cross (1865-?)
- Edward James Cross (1868-?)
- Martha Ann Cross (1870-?)
- Arthur Obed Cross (1882-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 15yrs, Turbotsey, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 26yrs, North Side, Newnham, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1881: 45yrs, Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 51yrs, Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 64yrs, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 76yrs, Market Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1849: Labourer
- 1851: Carter
- 1871: Dealer - General
- 1881: Hackney Carter
- 1883: Contractor
- 1891: Gardener
- March 1908 at Union House, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 84 years.
- 7th March 1908 in grave G796 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.