Robert's early life is unclear, but when he was 19 years old, he married Sarah Bartle of Ely.
The couple settled down to become parents ten times, which included a set of unidentical twins in 1786, although their oldest and youngest sons failed to survive infancy.
Sarah pre-deceased Robert in 1821, and he lived for another five years.
Robert's Will names six of his children - John, William, Hannah, Mary, Robert and Henry, the latter having seemingly escaped Ely's church baptism registers.
- circa 1759 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 9th June 1759 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Bartle (1759-1821) by licence on 28th April 1779 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Hannah Cross (1780-?) married Edmund Allensby (1781-1816)
- Sarah Cross (1783-?) married Charles Kemp (17??-?)
- Robert Cross (1784-1785)
- Robert Cross twin (1786-?)
- Mary Cross twin (1786-?)
- John Cross (1788-?)
- Philip Cross (1790-18??) married Jemima Thompson (1790-1817)
- William Cross (1804-?) married Mary Brown (1794-18??)
- Henry Cross (1794-?)
- Richard Cross (1797)
- October 1826 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged '70' years.
- 28th March 1846 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.