George Moden Dewey
Henry worked the land surrounding his native Wentworth home, and he is listed as an agricultural labourer by the time he is 20 years old.
It may have been his agricultural labouring that led George to move away from Cambridgeshire, as he met and married Jane Elizabeth Allen of Swayfield, Lincolnshire, at her native parish church in 1886, and the following year they welcomed their first child into the family. They would go on to have nine more children over the next 18 years, but sadly two of them failed to survive infancy.
The family remained in Lincolnshire, and George took work as a shepherd and later as a farm bailiff.
Jane pre-deceased George by 23 years in May 1933. By the time of the 1939 Register, George is living with his son William in Freiston, Lincolnshire, and he is listed as a retired farm worker.
- 26th March 1861 at Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 21st April 1861 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Jane Elizabeth Allen (1865-1933) on 18th May 1886 at St. Nicholas' Church, Swayfield, Lincolnshire, England.
- Esther Rebecca Dewey (1887-19??)
- Ethel Ellen Dewey (1888-19??)
- William Henry Dewey (1890-19??) married Frances M A Kirk (1895-19??)
- George Dewey (1892-19??)
- Arthur Joseph Dewey (1894-19??)
- Walter Dewey (1895-19??)
- Sarah Elizabeth Dewey (1897-19??)
- John Tom Dewey (1899-1900)
- Gertrude Ann Dewey (1904-19??)
- James Edward Dewey (1905-1910)
Census and Residence
- 1861: 4 days, Main Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 10yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 20yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 30yrs, Porter's Lodge, Swayfield, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1901: 40yrs, Corby Heath, Corby Glen, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1911: 49yrs, Caythorpe Heath, Caythorpe, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1939: Freiston Lane, Freiston, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1881, 1891: Agricultural Labourer
- 1901: Shepherd
- 1911: Farm Bailiff
- 1939: Farm Worker (Retired)
- 10th August 1956 in the Stamford district of Lincolnshire, England.
- Not yet known.