Sarah Freeman (later Sarah Cross) was the fourth of the six children - all daughters - of Edward Freeman and his wife Mary Goodenough of Ely in Cambridgeshire, England.
When Sarah was about 18 years old, she married local labourer Philip Cross. The couple settled down to have four sons, but sadly their first and last sons died during infancy. Within a few weeks of the final son being baptised (in May 1829), Sarah died. She was just 27 years old.
Sarah pre-deceased Philip by 37 years, during which time he re-married to widow Ellen Wayman (formerly Saberton), and had at least another 10 children.
- circa 1802 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 20th June 1802 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Philip Cross (1798-1866) on 17th January 1820 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Philip Cross (1821)
- Philip Cross (1822-1912)
- Jacob Cross (1824-1897) married Mary Ann Newell (1829-1868), and later to Elizabeth Reeve (1824-1910)
- Ephraim Cross (1829-18??)
- During July 1829 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 27 years.
- 8th July 1829 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.