Mary Ann Newell
Mary married Jacob Cross in 1845, who was noted at the time to be a labourer of "Smock Alley" (re-named later as Barton Road) in Ely, Cambridgeshire. The couple went on to have eleven children, until Mary died aged 39 years, little more than two years after the birth of her final child, and a year before her mother.
With such a large young motherless family to care for, it is perhaps unsurprising that Jacob re-married.
- circa 1829 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 22nd March 1829 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Jacob Cross (1824-1897) on 11th May 1846, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susanna Cross (1846-1847)
- Sarah Ann Cross (1848-?) married William Martin (18?-?)
- George Cross (1850-1898) married Sabina Steadman Taylor (1852-1916).
- James Cross (1852-?) married Dorcas Pooley (1854-?)
- Eliza Cross (1855-?) married John Lavender (18??-?)
- Hannah Cross (1857-?)
- Elizabeth Cross (1859-?)
- Mary Cross (1862-?)
- John Cross (1864-?)
- Matilda Cross (1866)
- Emily Cross (1866-?) married Heyekiah Bailey (1863-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 12yrs, Scots Holt, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 23yrs, Buggs Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- 1841: Servant to Richard Pope (Publican)
- During May 1868 at St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 39yrs.
- 9th May 1868 in grave B64[C] at Ely City Cemetery after a service at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.