Ann Atkin (later Ann Newell) was the third of the eight known children of John Atkin and his wife Hannah Merry of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Ann married Robert Newell of Ely, and the couple settled down to have eleven children. However, several of these children did not survive infancy.
By 1851, the young family are living on 'Buggs Hill', a local name given to what is now known as Cambridge Road, but in 1853, with their youngest child only about 5 years old, Robert died.
Information revealing what Ann did next is somewhat lost, due to the destruction of the 1861 census for Ely, but it's easy to imagine that life must have been hard for her.
- circa 1808 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 14th November 1808, at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Robert Newell (1804-1853) on 30th July 1826, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- John Newell (1827)
- Mary Ann Newell (1829-1868) married Jacob Cross (1824-1897).
- John Newell (1831-?)
- James Newell (1834-1855)
- William Newell (1836-?)
- Sarah Newell (1839-?) married Abner Money (1834-?)
- Hannah Newell (1841-1843)
- Hannah Newell (1844-?) married William Palmby (18??-?)
- Susan Newell (1846)
- George Newell (1847)
- Emily Newell (1848-1855)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 25yrs, New Town, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 40yrs, Buggs Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- July 1869 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 61yrs.
- 30th July 1869 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.