Jacob married Mary Ann Newell in 1845, and he was noted at the time to be a Labourer of "Smock Alley" (known today as Barton Road) in Ely.
In 1851, the family had moved to Buggs Hill (Cambridge Road) and are joined by a lodger, James Newell, aged 17yrs (probably Mary Ann's brother). The couple had eleven children together, but sadly Mary Ann died aged 39yrs in 1868 just two years after the birth of their eleventh child.
This left Jacob with a large young motherless family. Five years later, he re-married to widow Elizabeth Reeve (née Parson) and they soon become parents.
At the time of the 1881 census, they are shown as living at West End, Ely, and they are joined by Elizabeth's 13yr old son Francis Reeve from her previous marriage. Francis remains living with the couple for the 1891 census.
- circa 1824 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 17th July 1824 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Ann Newell (1829-1868) on 11th May 1846, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Reeve (1824-1910) on 29th May 1874, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susanna Cross (1846-1847)
- Sarah Ann Cross (1848-?) married William Martin (18?-?)
- George Cross (1850-1898) married Sabina Steadman Taylor (1852-1916).
- James Cross (1852-?) married Dorcas Pooley (1854-?)
- Eliza Cross (1855-?) married John Lavender (18??-?)
- Hannah Cross (1857-?)
- Elizabeth Cross (1859-?)
- Mary Cross (1862-?)
- John Cross (1864-?)
- Matilda Cross (1866)
- Emily Cross (1866-?) married Heyekiah Bailey (1863-?)
- John William Cross (1874-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 15yrs, West Fen Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 26yrs, Buggs Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- 1871: 44yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 55yrs, West End, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 66yrs, West End, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1845: Labourer
- 1871-1881: Farm Labourer
- July 1897 at West End, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England. Aged 72 years.
- 19th July 1897 in grave D567[C] at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.