When he was 16 his mother died. After five years, his father went on to re-marry to widow Elizabeth Reeves (née Parson).
James married Dorcas Pooley of Silver Street, Ely and the couple went on to have nine children, but only seven had survived by 1911.
James is noted on the 1871 census as a 'farm labourer', and seems to continue this type of work until at least the 1881 census. By 1891, he is noted as a 'Coal Hawker' - an occupation he also gives on the 1901 census. By 1911 he's simply noted as a 'hawker', and by the time his daughter Violet marries in 1915, he has become a 'carman'.
- circa 1852 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 15th August 1852 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Dorcas Pooley (1854-1916) on 31st October 1874 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Eleanor Dorcas Cross (1875)
- Clara Jeffery Cross (1876-1955) married Harry James T Stanton (1880-1961)
- Edward Cross (1879-?)
- Elizabeth E Cross (1884-?)
- Florence E Cross (1886-?)
- Violet Dorcas Cross (1890-1946) married Frederick Archibald Sadler (1890-1953)
- James Cross (1893-?)
- Elise Anna Cross (1896-?)
- unknown Cross (18??-?)
Census and Residence
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- 1871: 17yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 27yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 38yrs, Back Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 48yrs, Back Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 58yrs, Victoria Square, Broad Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: Farm Labourer
- 1881: General Labourer
- 1891-1901: Coal Hawker
- 1911: Hawker
- 1915: Carman
- During 1916
- Not yet known.