Sabina Steadman Taylor
Sabina Steadman Taylor (also known as Vine Taylor, and later Vines Cross) was the oldest and illegitimate child of Susan Taylor, and her eventual husband William Crow Steadman of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
After a succession of first name variants, Vine (taking her name from her father's sister and aunt, Vinecrow Steadman) married George Cross of Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire and the couple became parents to two daughters. At the time of the birth of their youngest daughter - Susan Cross in 1872, the family lived in St. John's Place. Sadly Susan failed to thrive and died when she was only a few days old. The couple had no more children.
In 1892, George became the Publican of the 'Eagle and Lamb' pub, owned by Morgan's Brewery Co. Ltd, on Cambridge Road, Ely, with a brewery behind it.
However, after his premature death in 1898 from a stroke, Vine became the Publican, and is listed as the landlord from 1898-1904. She appears on the 1901 census a widow landlord with two lodgers.
After Vine gives up the licence, it exchanges landlords a few times before closing. The pub and most of the brewery has now been demolished, and the site is now an access road to housing. Instead, by 1911 Vine has become a shopkeeper on Cambridge Road, where her daughter and granddaughter would eventually follow in her footsteps.
Vine died in March 1916, 18 years after her husband.
- 18th November 1852 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 10th January 1864 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- George Cross (1850-1898) on 28th May 1870, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Census and Residence
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- 1870: 17yrs, Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 18yrs, Smockhill Alley, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 28yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 38yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 48yrs, The Eagle and Lamb Public House, Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 58yrs, Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: Field Hand
- 1898-1904: Publican at The Eagle and Lamb (Public House)
- 1911: Shopkeeper
- 17th March 1916 at Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 63 years.
Cause of Death
- 1. Diabetes
- 22nd March 1916 in grave F1063[c] at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.