Francis Newell's origins are as yet, unknown, although a potential baptism takes place in Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England in 1770.
He makes his first appearance in known records in 1794, when he married Mary Haylock in nearby Ely, Cambridgeshire.
The couple had five children, but sadly two - their first and last, and both named Hannah - died between the ages of 12 and 15.
Mary predeceased Francis in 1826 when she was 53 years. Francis lived another 21 years, dying when he was 81 in the Ely Union Workhouse.
- circa 1766 at an unknown location in England.
- Mary Haylock (1773-1826) on 7th October 1794 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Hannah Newell (1796-1808)
- James Newell (1802-1847) married Hannah Richardson (1811-1859).
- Robert Newell (1804-1853) married Ann Atkin (1808-1869)
- Rebecca Newell (1806-?)
- Hannah Newell (1809-1824)
- During December 1847 at The Ely Union Workhouse, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 81 years.
- 28th December 1847 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.