Sarah Moden (later Sarah Granger) was the youngest known of the ten known children of the labourer William Moden, and the fourth with his second wife Elizabeth Howard of Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
With the deaths of both of her parents by the time she was 9 years old, her presence on the 1841 census is yet to be found.
In 1851, Sarah is noted as living with her oldest half-sister Mary Moden and her husband Thomas Hardwicke, where she's noted as a General Servant. By this time, Sarah at 20 years old, had given birth to her illegitimate daughter Elizabeth. During the summer of 1854, she gives birth to another illegitimate daughter named Selina, but within a year she married labourer William Granger of Hill Row, Haddenham. Both daughters appear to adopt the Granger surname in census returns.
In 1881, Sarah and William's family are joined by their 2 year old grandson Arthur George Granger - the son of their oldest son George.
In 1893, Sarah's son Robert married her older half-brother's granddaughter Mary Pedley Moden, meaning that their children would have the same Great and Great x2 Grandfather, William Moden.
By the time of the 1911 census, Sarah notes that she has had 10 children, but that 8 of them had pre-deceased her.
Sarah lived into her 90's, and was pre-deceased by her husband William in 1919.
- 1830 at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 30th May 1830 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- William Granger (1833-1919) on 6th August 1855 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Moden (1851-1897)
- Selena Moden (1854-1945) married William Beeton Hart (1850-1903)
- George Granger (1856-?) married Emma Burton (18??-?)
- Esther Granger (1861-?) married James Thomas Ostler (1862-?)
- Marian Granger (1863-?)
- Harriet Granger (1864-?)
- William Granger (1866-?)
- Herbert Granger (1870-?) married Emma Ann Searle (1871-?)
- Robert Granger (1872-?) married Margaret Pedley Moden (1875-?)
- Harry Granger (1876-?) married Florrie Leach (1876-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: Not yet found.
- 1851: 20yrs, Hillrow, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 31yrs, Hillrow, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 40yrs, Hillrow, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 49yrs, Cracknell Drove, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 58yrs, Crackney, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 69yrs, Mason Drove, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 77yrs, Cracknell Drove, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: General Servant
- During 1927 in the Ely district of Cambridgeshire, England, aged 95yrs.
- Not yet known.