William Moden's (also William Morden) ancestry is unclear, but he first appears in 1804 when he marries Esther Whitehead in the fenland village of Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
William and Esther remained in Haddenham, and became parents at least six times until Esther died in 1815, aged 32. Their youngest child, Robert, was only about 2 years old.
With this young family all under the age of 10 years old, William eventually re-married to his wife's widowed sister-in-law, Elizabeth Whitehead, formerly Elizabeth Howard.
William and Elizabeth settled down and raised another four children, until Elizabeth died aged 37 in 1832. Again, the couple's youngest child was at most just 2 years old.
Just 7 years later William died of Rheumatism, leaving his young family's immediate fate unclear, although it appears that siblings Esther and George may have eventually emigrated to the USA.
- circa 1781, location not yet known.
- Esther Whitehead (1783-1815) on 24th April 1804 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Howard (1795-1832) on 23rd February 1823 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Moden (1805-?) married Thomas Hardwicke (1804-?)
- John Moden (1807-1875)
- William Moden (1809-18??)
- Thomas Moden (1811-1885) married Rebecca Clements (1813-1875)
- William Moden (1812-?)
- Robert Moden (1813-1877) married Phoebe Lenton (1816-1859)
- Esther Moden (1823-?) married William Humphrey (18??-?)
- George Moden (1826-?)
- Elizabeth Moden (1830-?)
- Sarah Moden (1830-1927) married William Granger (1833-1919)
- 1813, 1823, 1830: Labourer
- 6th September 1839 in the presence of Alice Coval at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 57yrs.
Cause of Death
- 1. Rheumatism.
- 8th September 1839 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.