Ishmael Poll was the sixth and last known child of James Poll and his wife Mary Syers of Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
Ishmael is a hebrew name - phonetically pronounced as 'ish-may-elle' - and is a name that's also handed to his son. It is unclear as to where this name came from, or that of Ishmael's daughter Kerunhappuck.
Ishmael married Mary Fiddmont, just 2 weeks before the birth of their first child, Elizabeth. The couple are known to have had nine more children - which included a set of twins, and only two sons.
On his one and only appearance on the census (in 1841), Ishmael is noted as being a 'Weaver - Silk Worker', and would have no doubt contributed to the booming, highly skilled, and dangerous, silk industry of nearby Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Ishmael pre-deceased his wife Mary by about 12 years, dying when he was 74 years old.
- During 1772 in Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- 17th October 1772 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- Mary Fiddamont (1774-1859) on 30th March 1796 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- Elizabeth Poll (1796-1871) married Michael Goodings (1794-1821), and later to John Howlett (1785-1861)
- Hannah Poll (1798-?)
- Mary Poll (1801-?)
- Honor Poll (1802-18??)
- Ann Poll (1804-?)
- Margaret Poll (1806-?)
- Ishmael Poll (1808-1881) married Sarah Shrimpling (18??-?)
- Kerunhappuck Poll (1810-1896) married Robert Smith (1811-1865)
- Kezia Poll twin (1812-1889) married Samuel Peel (1811-1882)
- Honor Poll twin (1812-?) married Stephen Woolner (1811-?)
- James Poll (1816-1876)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 70yrs, The Lizard, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- 1841: Weaver - Silk Worker
- During April 1847 in The Lizard, Wymondham, Norfolk, England, aged 74 years.
- 9th April 1847 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.