Adelaide Mary Yarrow
Adelaide Mary Yarrow (later Adelaide Mary Plumb and Adelaide Mary Ambrose) was the oldest of the fifteen children of James Yarrow and his wife Adelaide Bishop of Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
Like her mother, Adelaide moved into education and eventually trained to become a teacher.
In 1911, she is noted on the Little Thetford census living with her mother's aunt and uncle George Farby and his wife Sarah Farby. The couple, who were childless themselves, frequently cared for the earlier Yarrow children, earning them the affectionate nickname of 'Granny and Grandad Farby'.
Adelaide married Leonard Frederick Plumb (affectionately known as 'Chicker') and the couple had three children - two sons and a daughter. Sadly, Leonard died in March 1953.
Less than a year after Leonard's death, Adelaide went on to re-marry to her childhood sweetheart and widower, Samuel Spencer Ambrose, (known just as Spencer).
Adelaide outlived both of her husbands, surviving Spencer by 23 years.
- 1897 at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 18th April 1897 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Leonard Frederick Plumb (1895-1953) on 12th July 1919 at St. Peter's Church, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Samuel Spencer Ambrose (1894-1961) during January 1954 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Bertram Leonard Plumb (1921-1993) married June (19??-?)
- Ida Adeline Maud Plumb (1922-1996) married Herbert Sharpe (19??-?), and later to Cyril Reginald Smith (1925-2009)
- Leslie Maurice Plumb (1933-?) married Brenda L M Irons (1940-?)
Census and Residence
- 1901: 4yrs, The Vineyards, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 14yrs, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 12th January 1984 at 39 Benedict Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 86 years.
- 18th January 1984 in grave CB2.958, with her first husband Leonard, at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.