When Adelaide's birth was registered, her mother registered her as Ada Bishop, but by the time she was baptised, she has become Adelaide. Adelaide would go on to name her second daughter Ada.
Adelaide was just twelve years old when her mother died, leaving the family of fifteen children (the youngest being no more than two years old) in the charge of her widowed father James, a labourer, and her childless aunt Sarah Bowers and her husband George Farby.
Adelaide worked as an infant's Monitor Teacher at Little Thetford and taught many of the children important home-making handicrafts like sewing, and made a number of clothes for the children too. Adelaide attended school herself, and is noted as a 'scholar' on the 1881 census when she was just 4 years old.
She married James Yarrow, a railway worker at Little Thetford and the couple went on to have fifteen known children.
The family moved in 1899 to Wilburton, and they lived in the Station Cottages where James became Station Master. In the later wartime years, the family moved to Wilburton old Vicarage - The Lodge - which still exists today with its stunning views across the fenland.
- 10th March 1877 at Priory, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 2nd July 1882 at St. Laurence's Church, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- James Yarrow (1875-1946) on 20th October 1896 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Adelaide Mary Yarrow (1897-1984) married Leonard Frederick Plumb (1895-1953) and later to Samuel Spencer Ambrose (1894-1961).
- Ada Yarrow (1898-1977) married John Lavender Haylock (1900-1974)
- Maude Yarrow (1899-2004) married Ernest Herbert Barber (1902-1985)
- Jessie Yarrow (1900-1997) married Leslie Robert Ling (1906-1996)
- George James Yarrow (1901)
- George Owen Yarrow (1903-1996) married Olive Maud Palmer (1900-1977)
- Albert James Yarrow (1905-1983)
- Sidney Yarrow (1906-1909)
- John Yarrow (1908-1988) married Dorothy Amelia Butcher (1914-1999)
- Frank Yarrow (1909-2010) married Gladys Lythell (1913-1992)
- Agnes Yarrow (1911-2013) married Jack Langley (1913-1988)
- William Maurice Yarrow (1913-2001) married Ethel Stott
- Catherine Yarrow (1914-2012) married Jesse Langley (1916-1991)
- Lois Margaret Yarrow (1917-2003)
- Winifred Joan Yarrow (1919-2006)
Census and Residence
- 1881: 4yrs, High Street, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 14yrs, Front Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 24yrs, The Vineyards, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 34yrs, Railway Cottages, Station Road, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: Monitor Teacher
- 1918: Stationwoman at Wilburton Station for Great Eastern Railway (GER)
- 8th September 1965 at Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 88yrs.
- September 1965 at Wilburton Cemetery, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England, with her husband James.