He married Elizabeth Brightley of Littleport in 1828, and the couple went on to have twelve children. Both signed their name with an X in the register at the time of their marriage.
It appears that their marriage was what brought William to Littleport. The couple lived at Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport where they had a farm. He is noted on the censuses from 1841 through to 1871, being a 'Farmer of 20 acres' in 1851, 40 acres in 1861 and 1871.
William died of old age and general debility in 1879, with Elizabeth outliving him by 7 years, and appearing on the 1881 census at the same address living with their son, James Gilbert.
- circa 1807 in Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 4th January 1807 at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- Elizabeth Brightley (1810-1886) on 25th January 1828 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Jane Gilbert (1828-?) married Joseph Jackson (18??-?) and later to George Merrell (18??-?)
- Sarah Gilbert (1830-?) married David Norman (18??-?)
- Joseph Gilbert (1833-?)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1837-1849)
- Ann Gilbert (1838-1916) married William Drake (1821-18??)
- Mary Gilbert (1841-?)
- William Gilbert (1844-?)
- Martha Gilbert (1846-1892) married Golden Fletcher (1846-1918)
- James Gilbert (1848-1916) married Elizabeth Howlett (1856-1916)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1850-?) married James Brightley (1850-?)
- Susan Gilbert (1852-?)
- William Gilbert (1855-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 40yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 53yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 61yrs, Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 68yrs, Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851-1879: Farmer at Burnt Chimney Drove
- 25th March 1879 at Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, of old age and debility, aged 76 years.
- 28th March 1879 at Littleport Cemetery, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.