When John was about 11 years old, his father died, leaving his mother to care for him and his young siblings - the youngest of whom was no more than 3 years old.
John's first appearance in records was his baptism that took place in Abbotsley in 1736, but his next appearance is alongside his wife Mary Peck in 1764 at the baptism of their daughter Elizabeth.
It's not yet clear where John and Mary married, but it may possibly have been in Little Barford or nearby Great Barford, Bedfordshire. Further research is needed to clarify this.
Together they became parents at least 7 times, but at least two of these children failed to survive infancy.
John is noted in church records across 14 years as being a Farmer in Abbotsley.
John was pre-deceased by Mary in February 1805, and he survived for just over 2 more years.
- During 1736 in Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 29th November 1736 at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- Mary Peck (17??-1805), in approximately 1763 but location not yet known.
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1764-?)
- William Gilbert (1766-?)
- John Gilbert (1770-?)
- George Gilbert (1772-1773)
- Edward Gilbert (1774-1852) married Susan Gillions (1771-1859)
- Mary Gilbert (1776-1777)
- James Gilbert (1778-?)
- 1764-1778: Farmer
- April 1807 at Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 21st April 1807 at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.