Mary Grey (later Mary Freeman) was the fifth of the six known children of William Grey and his wife Elizabeth Cawthorne of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Mary married agricultural labourer John Freeman of nearby Prickwillow in February 1836. Just four months later the couple took their first-born child to be baptised at Ely.
The couple went on to become parents a further nine times, during which time John's work led the family to move from Prickwillow, to Ely, to Coldmoor Farm to the north of Witchford, and on to Coveney, where John is noted as a farmer of 45 acres.
The family live nearby at Frogs Abbey by the time of the 1861 census, but by the time that three of their children married in 1865, John had died.
In the last few years of her life, Mary appears living with her sister-in-law, Anna Nix Freeman, at Coveney, where she is noted as a Nurse on the 1871 census.
Mary died in 1877, outliving her husband by 14 years.
- During 1816 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 23rd March 1816 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- John Freeman (1812-1863) on 6th February 1836 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Ann Freeman (1836-19??) married Edward Moden (1828-1867), and later to David Seymour (1839-1894)
- Elizabeth Freeman (1838-?)
- George Gray Freeman (1840-?) married Jane Martin (1840-?)
- John Freeman (1842-?) married Sarah Poole (1836-?)
- James Freeman (1844-?)
- Phoebe Freeman (1847-?) married Paul Parish (1845-?)
- Sarah Freeman (1849-?) married Joseph Walker (1844-?)
- Charles Freeman (1851-?)
- Eliza Ann Freeman (1855-?)
- Rebekah Freeman (1857-1903) married Joseph Brown (1854-1915)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 25yrs, Coldmoor Farm, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 35yrs, Wardy Hill, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 44yrs, Frogs Abbey, Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 54yrs, Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: Nurse
- During October 1877 at Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 61 years.
- 13th October 1877 at St. Peter-ad-Vincula Church, Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England.