Robert Cooper was the fifth of the seven children of brickmaker Charles Cooper, and the sixth of the eight children from the second marriage of Martha Cornwall of Ely and Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, England.
Robert worked as a Shoemaker, a career that would last him at least 60 years, and see him remain in Ely for his entire life.
He married Elizabeth Fison in 1828, and the became parents to their first child the following year. They went on add a further 12 children to the family, including what appears to be a set of twins.
At least six of their children left Ely to live in London, whilst others moved to Essex, Bedfordshire, and Cheshire. Two of their sons - Charles and John - became engineers with the former successfully inventing parts that were used in the Australian railway industry.
Elizabeth pre-deceased Robert in 1886, and he died in the presence of his youngest daughter Harriet, in April 1889.
- circa 1807 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 22nd July 1807 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Fison (1809-1886) on 17th September 1828 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Charles Cooper (1829-1911) married Mary East (1829-?), and later to Plessina Balding (1847-1922)
- Isabella Cooper (1831-1870) married Joseph Allison (1830-?)
- Eliza Cooper (1835-?)
- George Cooper (1836-?)
- Rebecca Cooper (1838-1908) married Richard Dudley (1824-1883), and later to James Morris (1855-?)
- Mary Cooper (1841-1903) twin married John Dudley (1843-?)
- William Cooper (1841-1904) twin married Rosanna (1841-?)
- Henry Cooper (1842-1879)
- Thomas Cooper (1844-1923) married Rebecca Porter (1848-1938)
- John Cooper (1846-1923) married Sarah Parkin (1844-1914)
- Caroline Cooper (1849-1914) married William Oakey (18??-?)
- Alfred Cooper (1850-1882)
- Harriet Cooper (1854-1925) married Alfred Newman (1849-1933)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 30yrs, Silver Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 43yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely Census destroyed.
- 1871: 64yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 73yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1889: 81yrs, Silver Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1829-1889: Shoemaker
- 8th April 1889 in Silver Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 81 years. Cause of death: 'Bronchitis inictus'.
- 13th April 1889 in Grave C1146(c) at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.