Charles Cooper Newman
Charles married Florence Emma Chapman of Clenchwarton, Norfolk, in 1897, and they soon began a family.
Charles was working as a Railway Porter for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) by 1901, progressing to a Railway Shunter by 1911. Railway employment records show that Charles began working for the company in December 1899. During his career, the family moved around - something that's evident by the birthplaces if their eventual 10 children - which include Kings Lynn in Norfolk, Spalding in Lincolnshire, and Doncaster in Yorkshire.
Charles and Florence seem to have settled in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire by 1939, where Charles is noted as a Station Foreman, and the family are living at River Lane, right near to the railway interchange.
Charles pre-deceased Florence in the summer of 1950. Florence died about 3 years later.
- 16th January 1878 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 17th February 1878 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Florence Emma Chapman (1877-1953) on 18th May 1900, in Chesterton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Charles Henry Alfred Newman (1899-1972) married Eva E Hill (19??-?)
- Edith May Newman (1901-?) married Thomas J L Bailey (1904-?)
- Cyril Cooper Newman (1907-1986) married Eva Nellie Pickering (1906-1987)
- Alfred Frederick Newman (1908-1977) married Linda Doris Johnson (1906-1985)
- Florence M Newman (1911-?)
- Walter J Newman (1912-?)
- Albert E Newman (1915-?)
- Violet M Newman (1918-?)
- Emily M Newman (1920-?) married Unknown Bailey (19??-?)
- Jessie I Newman (1921-?)
Census and Residence
- 1881: 3yr, Church Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 13yrs, Bull Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 23yrs, 24 Elsworth Street, Doncaster, Yorkshire, England.
- 1911: 33yrs, River Lane, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1939: 61yrs, 139 Dogsthorpe Road, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: Errand Boy
- 1901: Railway Porter for London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Doncaster
- 1911: Railway Shunter for London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Peterborough
- 1939: Station Foreman for London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Peterborough
- 3rd July 1950 at Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Location not known.