Susannah Poole (often known as Susan Poole, and later as Susannah Barber and Susannah Martin) is of currently unknown origins, but may possibly have been the daughter of Thomas Poole and his wife Rebecca of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Susannah married Robert Barber of Witchford, in 1751 at Witcham, Cambridgeshire where Susannah is noted as resident 'of this parish'. The couple settled down to become parents six times. Sadly, their fifth child - Wenham Barber - failed to thrive and died when he was just a few months old.
Robert died prematurely in 1765 when he was about 38 years old, and with five children under the age of 13, life must have been hard for this young widow.
Eventually she re-married to widower Philip Martin of nearby Coveney in April 1770, but it was not to last.
Susan died in September 1772 at Wardy Hill, aged just 45 years old. Her 19 year old daughter Susan Barber would follow her to the grave just months later.
- circa 1727 probably at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Probably on 18th October 1730 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Robert Barber (1727-1765) on 4th August 1751 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Philip Martin (1727-1796) on 4th August 1751 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Barber (1752-?) married William Richman (17??-1774) and later to John Bull (17??-?)
- Susan Barber (1754-1773)
- Ann Barber (1755-1795) married Robert Jordan (17??-?)
- Robert Barber (1757-1821) married Rebecca Irons (1755-1843)
- Wenham Barber (1760)
- Wenham Barber (1762-1801) married Hannah Lawrence (17??-?)
- September 1772 at Wardy Hill, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 13th September 1772 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.