Maria Yarrow was the fourth of the ten children of William Yarrow, and his wife Sarah Morden of Stretham in Cambridgeshire, England.
Maria never married, and does not appear to have had any children. Instead, she appears to have devoted her life to work, and she appears working as a waitress for her aunt Maria Yarrow and uncle Owen Owen on Great Lower Street at The Yorkshire Grey eating house.
Maria appears on the 1881 census for Hallow, Worcestershire, as a Housemaid at the home of Charles Wheeley Lea, Sauce Manufacturer. She is joined by two other housemaids, a footman, a Lady's Maid, a Cook, and a Kitchen Maid. Charles was part of the Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce brand family, and at this point, was clearly a wealthy man.
In February 1888, Maria disturbs an attempted burglary at Mr Lea's home, when she hears a window smash and raises the alarm. The culprits are seen by the gardener and the butler, but not captured.
Maria returned to her aunt and uncle, and lived with them in Acton, West London, until their deaths.
The 1911 census is where we find Maria living in Leyton (then in Essex), with her sister Eliza Yarrow. Eliza appears, like Maria, to be unmarried. However, by the time Maria's probate is granted in 1919 - it states Eliza as a widow.
- 1842 at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1st May 1842 at St. James' Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Census and Residence
- 1851: 9yrs, Quarterway House, Ely Road, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 19yrs, 59 Great Lower Street, All-Hallows-by-the-Tower, Greater London, England.
- 1871: Not yet located.
- 1881: 38yrs, Parkfields, Hallow, Worcestershire, England.
- 1888: 45yrs, Parkfields, Hallow, Worcestershire, England.
- 1871: 47yrs, 5 Oxford Terrace, Churchfield Road, Acton, Greater London, England.
- 1871: 55yrs, 8 Faraday Road, Acton, Greater London, England.
- 1881: 67yrs, Lawton Road, Leytonstone, Greater London, England.
- 1861: Waitress for Owen Owen (Eating House Proprietor) at The Yorkshire Grey (Eating House).
- 1881-1888: Housemaid for Charles Wheeley Lea (Sauce Manufacturer).
- 14th September 1918 at 156 Colchester Road, Leyton in Essex, England, aged 76 years.
- 19th September 1918 at St. Mary's Church, Acton, Greater London, England.