Robert worked as a labourer in the fenland surrounding his native Witcham, Cambridgeshire, until shortly after his marriage to Elizabeth Walker in 1804, when the couple went to settle down in nearby Littleport.
The couple became parents at least eight times, and their children appear in the Wesleyan Non-confirmist baptism register for St Mary's Church, Ely, a few miles South from their home.
Wenham died when he was about 48 years old, pre-deceasing Elizabeth by 40 years. Now a widow, Elizabeth had to provide care for their family alone, although his Will which was written in 1831, the year before his death, left his estate to her.
She eventually became a Schoolmistress at a Dame School in Littleport. In 1871, Elizabeth is noted as an 83 year old pauper, and she died the following year.
- circa 1784 at Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 25th January 1784 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Walker (1786-1872) on 22nd July 1804 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Robert Barber (1807-1833)
- Wenham Barber (1810-1878) married Mary Padget (1809-18??)
- Mary Barber (1811-?)
- Susan Barber (1812-1829)
- William Barber (1814-1877) married Hannah Goltrip (1818-1895)
- John Barber (1816-1819)
- Jacob Barber (1819-1899) married Hannah Padget (1823-1893)
- Rebecca Barber (1828-1829)
Census and Residence
- 1831: 47yrs, Sandhill, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1814: Labourer
- Circa June 1832 at Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 48 years.
- 5th June 1832 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.