John William Yarrow
John was known by his nieces and nephews affectionately as 'Uncle Jack'.
At the time of John's marriage in Wilburton, in 1897 to Amy Ann Howard of Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, he is noted as a Grocer of St. Mary's, Dover. It must have been shortly afterwards that the newly married couple headed South and settled there where they went on to raise at least nine children.
In 1901 he is listed on the census as a Spacious Warehouseman, but it isn't until 1911 when his work is described as Warehouse Clerk - Wholesale Grocer, Army and Navy Contractors that his grocer work is given context as a wholesale supplier. It also suggests that maybe his time working in the agriculturally rich fenland with his father, helped him to understand more about the produce he was having to work with.
John was also a member of the St. Mary The Virgin Church choir in Dover, where parts of his family continue to this tradition today.
- 3rd May 1869 in either Little Thetford or Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 30th May 1869 at St. Peter's Church, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England, with his cousin Benjamin Gothard.
- Amy Ann Howard (1872-1946) on 26th October 1897 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Amy Ann Yarrow (1898-1983)
- Lois Mary Yarrow (1900-1993) married Harry Catt (?-1965)
- Corrie Yarrow (1902-1990)
- Albert John Yarrow (1904-1981) married Rose Elizabeth Joyner (1904-1993)
- Frederick William Yarrow (1906-1978) married Gladys Mabel Askew (1906-1975)
- Thomas Howard Yarrow (1909-1986) married Florence Royle (1904-1938), and later to Irene Grace Leete (1914-1963)
- George Francis Yarrow (1911-1996) married Gladys Mary Skinner.
- James Yarrow (1914-1983) married Audrey Catt
- Esther Yarrow (1916-1979) married Frederick James Thomas
Census and Residence
- 1871: 1yr, Principal Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 11yrs, 19 High Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 21yrs, Front Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 31yrs, 21 Windermere Terrace, Buckland St. Andrew, Dover, Kent, England.
- 1911: 41yrs, 9 Buckland Avenue, Dover, Kent, England.
- 1939: 70yrs, 9 Knights Way, Dover, Kent, England.
- 1891: Employed by father (Farmer)
- 1897: Grocer
- 1901: Spacious Warehouseman
- 1911: Warehouse Clerk for a Wholesale Grocer
- 2nd January 1955 in Dover, Kent, England.
- During January 1955 at Dover, Kent, England.