Unlike many of Harriet's siblings, she remained in Ely and by 1871 she is working as a Dressmaker, and appears to have provided care for her elderly parents - being present at both deaths at their home in Silver Street in 1886 and 1889.
Harriet married Alfred Newman - a Coprolite Digger from Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire. Their marriage is recorded in the parish register of St Mary's Church, Ely, but a note states that 'Marriages from 3rd October 1877 to 29th March 1879 took place in the Boy's National School Room'. The Boy's National School was located on Silver Street, Ely. I can only assume that the church was undergoing repairs during this period as there are many marriages here, and surely can't have been due to anything specifically relating to the bride or groom.
Harriet and Alfred also had thirteen children, sadly with their penultimate child, Selina May, dying at the age of 2 years.
Their family lived initially in Church Lane and then later from 1881 in Bull Lane, near the Waterside area of Ely.
Harriet pre-deceased Alfred by 8 years in 1925.
- 17th June 1854 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 9th July 1854 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Alfred Newman (1849-1933) on 3rd June 1877 at The National Boy's School, Silver Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Charles Cooper Newman (1878-1950) married Florence Emma Chapman (1879-1953)
- Isabella Elizabeth Newman (1879-1945) married Thomas Arthur Martin (1877-1939)
- Henry William Newman (1880-1955) married Sarah Jane Cree (1882-19??)
- Emma Newman (1882-19??) married William John Webb (1886-?)
- Alfred Sidney Newman (1883-1969) married Clara Emma Gilbert (1884-1973)
- Robert Bertie Newman (1884-1958)
- Maud Caroline Newman (1886-19??) married Arthur William Taylor (1882-?)
- Arthur E Newman (1887-1976) married Eliza Jane Cornwell (1893-1970)
- Frederick John Newman (1889-1973) married Ettie May Haylock (1894-1957)
- Beatrice Mary Louise Newman (1890-1972) married George William Bowden (1890-1868)
- Albert Edward Newman (1892-1939) married Lydia Anne Fretwell (1896-1965)
- Selina May Newman (1894-1896)
- Ella Ada Newman (1897-1962) married William George Haylock (1892-1958)
Census and Residence
- 1861: Ely Census destroyed.
- 1871: 16yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 26yrs, Church Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 36yrs, Bull Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 44yrs, Bull Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 56yrs, Willow Walk, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: Dressmaker
- 2nd September 1925 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 5th September 1925 in grave #G23(c) with her husband Alfred, in Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.