When he was born in January 1850, he was registered as Charles Cross, but just a few days later at his baptism, his parents have re-named him as George instead.
When George was about 19 years old, his mother died. After five years, his father went on to re-marry.
George married Sabina "Vine" Steadman Taylor of Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire and the couple had two known children, both daughters. At the time of the birth of their youngest daughter - Susan Cross in 1872, the family lived in St. John's Place. Sadly Susan failed to thrive and died when she was only a few days old. The couple had no more children.
In 1892, George Cross left agriculture and became the Publican of the 'Eagle and Lamb' pub, owned by Morgan's Brewery Co. Ltd, on Cambridge Road, Ely. The pub also included a brewery behind it.
Following his death in 1898 from a stroke, his widow "Vine" takes over the licence and is listed as the landlord from 1898-1904. She appears on the 1901 census a widow landlord with two lodgers.
After Vine gives up the licence, it exchanges landlords a few times before closing. The pub and most of the brewery has now been demolished, and the site is now an access road to housing.
- As 'Charles Cross' on 27th January 1850 at Bugs Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 17th February 1850 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sabina Steadman Taylor (1852-1916) on 28th May 1870, at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Census and Residence
- 1851: 1yr, Buggs Hill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed.
- 1871: 18yrs, Smockhill Alley, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 30yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 40yrs, St. John's Place, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871-1881: General Labourer
- 1891: Agricultural Labourer
- 1892-1898: Publican at The Eagle and Lamb (Public House)
- 3rd September 1898 at The Eagle and Lamb Public House, Cambridge Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 48 years.
Cause of Death
- 1. Cerebral Effusion
- 6th September 1898 in grave D540[C] at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.